Zumba: Se!xual Healing & Releasing Weight

by The Comeback Girl on May 21, 2011

Need To Get Your Sexy Back? Try Zumba

I never in a million cazillion years thought I’d ever be REALLY in to Zumba.

To all those who’ve been stuck in some kind of Jane Fonda alternate universe,  Zumba is high energy dance. It really is the new aerobics of the 21st century and incorporates Latin, Afro Caribbean and other East Indian dance moves to keep your heart rate high and your body in its fat burning zone.

And trust me when I say, a neighbor had to drag me over to a class on Saturday morning. I knew Zumba could burn an insane amount of calories and in some of the youtube videos I’ve seen people look like they were having a he!ll of a lot of fun. But I was already learning that once you’re committed to an exercise routine, you could have fun. But I guess I WAS one of those exercise purists who didn’t think working out should be TOO fun or sexy.

Well not until our instructor started incorporating some Pussy Cat Dolls into our Zumba routines months ago did I start to become a Zumba believer. When Karen, our Zumba instructor turns on “When I grow up” the class goes BANANAS.  And at first I was like, what is it about the really sexy parts of Zumba that women really resonate to and why?

And the light bulb started going off.

I think one of the byproducts of my weight gain, and weight gain in general, is being disconnected from the body. I wasn’t shaking much of nothing, not even when I thought I looked cute in a size 18 a few months ago. And I was a fly size 18 by the way. But there was definitely something missing.

Most of the REALLY sexy Zumba routines require a mind body connection to the female sexua!l energy. The stuff that makes us feel beautiful and adored, at least the 12 or so women in our class. The beauty of Zumba is that I think it can transform ANY woman who is out of touch with her hips, thighs and other movement and release that goddess energy that to me is a huge component to releasing weight.

Comeback Girl Rule No 2. No matter where any woman is in her journey to shed pounds, she’s got to feel good about her body. The body is a miraculous wonder. It can be reshaped, it can heal itself, it can shed unneeded baggage, it can morph into the healthy and natural form it should be. But I think it first must be loved and adored by US women. And that’s one of the reasons I think I’ve always loved the Pussy Cat Dolls. To me there really is no greater love than adoring and celebrating your OWN body and Zumba makes that REALLY easy.

And of course from that, men fall in line with how we see our own bodies and sex!ual energy. So when we learn to love and embrace our divine goddess energy and sex!uality, then who we love, or want to love –will to.

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

shay-d-lady May 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

see this is what i miss.
I too found zumba!! i hated excercise and over a year ago they started a class next door.

I was depressed Well over 200 lbs, hated my job and just generally unhappy.

I went on my lunch break and ive been going strong (well kinda sprained my ACL 2 weeks ago) every since. I definitely lost myself.
My husband told me gently. you are not the same person I married. I dont care about the weight but it is clearly affecting you.
my 8 year old daughter asked me why i never felt good.
so i started with that class and now (well when my knee is better) i take zumba 3 times a week and sometimes I get up for the 4th class on saturday mornings.
I have been re-discovering myself and my confidence.
that and quitting that job and finding me something else has done wonders..
now I look in the mirror and I am proud of me! i see the hard work I put in, Im no longer 2 tired for everything.
and my eyes are opened to the world in the way I had forgotten…

admin May 27, 2011 at 11:18 am

“I have been re-discovering myself and my confidence.
that and quitting that job and finding me something else has done wonders..
and my eyes are opened to the world in the way I had forgotten…”

This is SOOO awesome. I think there is something really healing about Zumba too. I’m still in the gym too. But Zumba is so dayum fun. I didn’t think I’d like it.

And its so true about work too. I think when you’re in a mind numbing environment ..like me LOL..food any food just feels like a comfort. I gotta eat..so I’m still working my job. But I do have a plan now and I’ve decided to feel differently about it as hard as it is..

I’ve also been reading a course in weightloss by Marianne Williamson..Its a great book. I’m going to write about it soon. It really talks about some of the emotional reasons weight stays on the body.

Jade June 1, 2011 at 12:07 am

Haven’t tried Zumba but it looks like fun. I have noticed my legs and arms gainging a bit more muscle though because my little nephew is SOLID! That boy got weight, but I have to pic him up and bounce him cause he is beyond cute. Glad you two found an excercise program you can really enjoy and get into.

admin June 1, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hi Zsa Zsa …Zumba is fun..I never knew I’d like it so much. I’m glad you checked back. I’m going to really get serious again about posting everyday. I have so much to say.. As usual LOL..

V Renee June 1, 2011 at 5:58 pm

WHOOOO HOOOOO!!! Shout out to Jada for letting me know you were back.

I truly missed you and your blog posts Comeback. Welcome back and congrats on your weightloss. You too Shayd! That’s pretty awesome.

On another note, Zumba is everything. I went a couple of weeks ago with my co worker (a mid 50ish white woman who talked about it ALL the time and went 4 times a week). It’s pretty great.

Working out is like church, you don’t wanna go, but when you do, it feels oh so good. Ha!

admin June 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm

HI VROOM..

Yeah Zumba is the joint.

PS..I’m sorry about all the comments going to moderate..it should be ok now..

ms80s June 3, 2011 at 10:29 am

WELCOME BACK COMEBACK!!!!!! I HAVE MISSED YOU!!!!!!!

Glad you and my fellow treehousers are doing GREAT!!!!!

L.P. June 16, 2011 at 8:26 pm

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WOMAN??? :)

admin June 3, 2011 at 11:40 am

Thanks 80s…I’ll be posting on the regular very soon. Starting next week. I was going to send out something official.

Sunny June 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I LOVE Zumba. And once this baby drops, I’ll be back at it. 😉

admin June 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm

AWE CONGRATS about the baby Sunny!!!!

Sunny June 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Thanks chica!

L.P. June 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm

(so geeked the treehouse is back y’all. :))

The Comeback Girl June 17, 2011 at 6:30 am

“I have been adamant to try Zumba for some reason… but all my girlfriends are gong-ho about it… Maybe now that you mention I may check it out. But what you’re saying about our body connecting with our mind and s3xu@l energy is so true… Sometimes, it takes getting outside of your own self to find your true self.”

@ L…you GOTTA try it. I was so not into the idea when a friend suggested I go. We’re on Zumba hiatus now for a minute. But we start back up in July and I am Excited. I love the music too.

I feel like some sexxay goddess up in through..

Holly GoLightly June 17, 2011 at 9:05 am

For some reason I can’t get into it! I have tried several different teachers but it’s not enough burn for me :(

Jac July 21, 2011 at 10:27 am

I LOVE this post. I’m in the process of this right now. I tried Zumba and it was quite fun but I’m way more into ellipticals, treadmills and running… Welcome back lady :)